Simple, Healthy and Kid-Friendly Breakfast Cookies (Refined Sugar and Gluten Free!)
I've said this before, but my kids are (shocker) picky eaters. And I'm going to guess that about 97% of you can relate to this mom woe lol! So when I make something that my kids don't HATE, I basically jump for joy and immediately start writing a blog post. So here we are.
If you've never heard of 'breakfast cookies' before, it's basically cookies that are somewhat healthy, almost like a healthy muffin kind of thing, so that we don't all have to die of mom guilt when we feed them to our kids. Love that. I had to try my own spin on them.
I made these cookies for my kids with the hopes that they would dig these as much as the cookies we buy at the grocery store (full of refined sugar and chemicals, not fun) and they keep asking for them! SUCCESS!
There are many tweaks you can make, and I will mention some below. But feel free to get creative with these!! I'll include a few things you could try mixing in to switch things up!
Simple, Healthy and Kid-Friendly Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats (you can totally use any oats of gluten isn't a concern)
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oat flour (same as above)
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal (optional, but seriously you don't taste it and it's so good for you)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup almond butter (optional if you are avoiding nuts, but delish)
- 1 egg (sub in a flax egg if you prefer)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
Possible other add-ins:
- Dried cranberries
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chia seeds
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix your dry ingredients together in one bowl, set aside.
- Mash your banana, and add in the other wet ingredients. Pour dry ingredients in and mix gently.
- Add in your chocolate chips.
- Place cookie dough in baking sheet with a tablespoon, should make about 16-18 cookies depending in the size you create.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until edges are slightly brown.
- Cool, and devour!!
Don't forget to pin this recipe! And if you make them, let us know!